March 30, 2009

Ordered a New Laptop - Dell Studio 17 - Running Ubuntu

I just ordered a new laptop for home. This will be used as my workstation/desktop replacement.

Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope comes out April 23, and this machine will get a fresh copy. I'm hoping all my hardware works good with it.

Specs:

  • Dell Studio 17
  • 64 bit
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
  • 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
  • 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
  • 250GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
  • Glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920x1200)
  • 8X CD/DVD Burner
  • Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11agn Half Mini-Card
  • Back-lit Keyboard

I will post again to tell how the hardware compatibility with Ubuntu and Linux is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful. Be careful though I recently had my 2nd Ubuntu recommended update break some critical libraries. I ended up going back to Debian with the new release and all and while I miss the bleeding edge world I am enjoying the stability more due to less headachesand ucssing.

Anonymous said...

Yes, do be careful . . . I have an Inspiron 1525N running Ubuntu 8.04 from Dell. Potential problem is drivers. Ubuntu core upgrades consistently break sound. I have the "make it work" steps memorized by now. Dell follows up with their own core release in 2-3 weeks *if* you have their repository in your list, and *if* you don't mind that there are no keys (that I've found) to validate their downloads. They're still making mods to 8.04 (it is a long-term release), and while I'd like to upgrade to 8.10 or 9.whatever, I will wait until there's some indication that Dell is up to speed.

Other than that, it's been a great experience. Luck to you.

ambreen tariq said...

quite a good machine at a first glance..well definilty i will order too that thing..its appearence is too dashing..hope to have a good experience with this dell